2 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1/4 t. salt
1/2 C. butter, softened (1 stick)
1/2 C. confectioner’s sugar
1/2 C. plus 2 T. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 C. vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On waxed paper, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
2. In large bowl, with mixer on med. speed, beat butter, confectioner’s sugar, and 1/2 C. granulated sugar until creamy, 2 minutes. On low speed, beat in egg, then oil and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture just until blended, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
3. Place remaining 2 T. granulated sugar in saucer. With hands, shape dough by rounded measuring teaspoons into 3/4 inch balls. Place balls, 2 inches apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet. Dip glass w/ a star bottom into sugar and flatten each ball.
4. Bake until edges are golden 10-12 minutes. With wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.
5. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
From Good Housekeeping “The Cookie Jar” (2011)