3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 C. white sugar
1 T. cornstarch
1 t. lemon juice
1 1/4 C. heavy whipping cream
1/2 C. confectioner’s sugar
1 pint fresh strawberries or other berries, fruit
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Draw a 9 inch circle on the parchment. An easy way is to draw around the outside of a 9″ pan with a pencil.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 C. of sugar gradually, while continuing to whip. Make sure sugar is completely dissolved. Mix together the remaining 1/4 C. sugar with the cornstarch; lightly fold into meringue with lemon juice.
3. Spread a layer of meringue to fit circle on parchment, approx. 1/4 inch think. With remainder of mixture, pipe or spoon swirls around the edges to form a shallow bowl shape.
4. Bake at 300 for 1 hour. Turn off oven, but leave meringue in oven for an additional 30 minutes. When cool, the meringue should be hard on the outside and slightly moist on the inside.
5. In a large bowl, combine the cream and half a cup of confectioners sugar, and whip until thickened. Decorate with fruit of your choice. Strawberries or raspberries are excellent.